10.10.2005

up hill. both ways

Been a few days since the last blog. Let's see what we missed, shall we?

Friday - surgery. Oof. Ages ago I got two root canals. Dentist said nothing about caps. Couple years ago a filling fell out and that root canalled tooth has been slowly eroding. Had it cut out Friday morning. My review of anasthesia: SUCK. Too damn weird waking up in another room missing a chunk of my life and spending the whole weekend asking Wendy, "Did X happen on the way home?" or "When did they say that?" Coincidentally, that's why the hardest drug I ever did was weed and while I once drank so much I passed out I remember the entire party quite vividly. Loss of control....not my bag.

Bubba Hotep. This little gem is another film with my boy Bruce Campbell in it. I say gem. What I mean is more like semi-precious stone. It's really not much more than a polished tiger eye agate your grampsy bought you in Taos, NM. Not a bad rock, certainly fun to look at from time to time, but not one that sees a lot of action. BH is well acted, and while cheesy, there aren't any major holes in the script. Give it another 100G for special effects and you've got a shot. Regardless, if you've got a friend that grabbed it off of Amazon to get free shipping on another order (essentially getting the thing free), borrow it from him. Like I said, it's not a bad movie, and I don't feel I wasted time or money on it.

Besides, it's Elvis fighting a mummy with cowboy boots on.

Saturday - After emailing everyone in a still slightly medicated state, the modem crapped out. A very difficult to understand British technician finally agreed with me that we needed a new cable modem and scheduled a replacement for this morning. You think East Indian techs are hard to understand? Try someone that just left a Manchester United game.

So Saturday was dishes, some serious mapping (I've decided since the campaign is on hold, now is the perfect time for me to flesh out the world), and a little bit of coloring. On top of that, I finally watched House of Flying Daggers, which is a beautiful movie, but not nearly as rocking as Crouching Tiger. Regardless, I recommend it on sheer cinemetography and pretty characters alone. Also wasted 2 hours being punched in the stomach by Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God as well. Now, I didn't expect this scifi original picture to be any good at all. I did, however, look for an animation budget of more than $5 and overall special effects budget of more than "I bought that at the local Halloween costume shop that's only open from October 1 to October 31 in the parking lot of the mall."

Why have the last two D&D movies sucked? Because they don't make a movie. They make a cinematic adventure and cram it into an hour and 35 minutes. Seriously, in game, it's hard to have one adventure that tells a great story. Not impossible, just hard. Without a great story, a high fantasy movie is going to suck. And it'd take about 2.5 hours to tell some of the great campaign-style stories I've seen in game. Then there's the lack of character development. But really, you have to look at the core assumptions of the game to see what the problem is. Leveling up and getting treasure don't make for good movies. I had more, but work distracted me. Lucky you.

Sunday - Watched the Packers shift into drive and roll on over the Saints. OOff. Went costume hunting with Wendy. Scored her part of her costume. Failed miserably on mine. Not really though. Got a decent back up plan. More importantly, scored two shirts for $3 each, and a total of 5 for $50. Rock solid considering it was JC Penney and Khol's. Gotta love it.

Game Sunday night. Shadowrun. Enzo blew one bitch to hell with two smg bursts, then proceeded to distract some melee combatants while Aiden (Nick) got down to business on them. Good times, although it's always frustrating to have a character with more experience leading the party. I think having Justin's character in the mix is gonna give the newbs a false sense of security if his character leaves the group....but I'm a little paranoid in SR, cause that's how you survive....

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home