10.04.2005

Still none

Still didn't game this weekend. :( Couldn't get ahold of John and Nick had to work later than expected. By the time he knew what time he was getting off, I was once again tired of the scheduling game (it went from 6:30 to 10 to 6:30 to 8) and decided we'd just get together to plan for his party. Ended up playing Munchkin during that. My only beef with that game is how consistantly it is won by fighting a potted plant, lame goblin, crabs, or some other such beastie that an actualy 9th level character wouldn't even get XP for. I know that sort of thing is what makes it fun early on, but it's frustratingly annoying to be at the cusp of victory twice and lose both times because someone flipped a level 1 monster. Not annoying enough to not play though.

Anyway, I weaseled my way into Nick's late night campaign with the newbies. Here're the character ideas I have. I haven't thought about race much, but I still have a few questions for Nick about style before I do that.

Human Rogue. This guys sort of a charlatan, focusing on bluffing through combat and life. Improved Feint ensures maximum sneak attack damage. Combat aside, however, I gotta come up with a personality/background for this guy.

Human Psion/kid. This kid probably set his home on fire and killed his parents with some latent psionic talent which he's learned to control pretty consistantly at the start of the game. He was taken in by someone in the group of travellers that just arrived in the other PCs home village. Abused, both mentally and phsyicially, he's convinced that using those psychic powers is the work of the devil and does nothing more than menial work for the travellers, earning barely enough food, etc to live on, just your typical Cinderalla/red headed step child. Will the other characters be enough of an outside impetus to get this kid to act out against his slavers? Will he be able to overcome the abuse he's suffered and learn to accept his pyschic talents?

Elven Scout. This character is actively hunting the party of travellers that just rolled into the village. For what? Nick and I will sort that out if I roll with him.

Favored Soul. There's a family of religious zealots near the village. They suck. If I want a cleric, I'm part of that family, perhaps the prodigy. While it would be fun to look down on the other characters as a matter of breeding, coming out of our regular campaign I'm really not all that into causing party strife. Solution, this character. As a favored soul of the deity in power, he comes strolling into town investigating rumors of a family of zealots misrepresenting said deity.

What are my preferences? Can't decide. Any character that challenges the ruling party is always fun. Especially the favored soul, as that's essentially just a divine sorcerer.

Despite wanting to run a scout, I think the concept for this one might be a little boring. Depending on why he's hunting the travellers anyway. I definitely don't want a character that's your typical wilderness angst boy.

Rogue? The build I have in mind for him has a lot of combat potential and could prolly even work as the party face, but I just have no background/personality for that guy yet.

The psion is probably the most fleshed out as far as RPing goes, and he's definitely the most challenging character for me to play. It's just a hard character to build. Looking at the psychic classes, it took me about 10 minutes to see how to make the baddest ass psion in the game. I'm talking dishing out 1-3d10 points of damage with a solid psychic blast. Not a long term sustainable solution though. Trouble is, I definitely DO NOT want to make a character that's so bad ass that Nick has to make special encounters to challenge him. Ignoring the fact that that's unfair to the other players, it also starts to breed feelings of DM vs player, and that makes for bad gaming. So instead, the kid would most likely be a shaper, able to make an astral construct, meaning he spends skill points in Craft(sculpture) just to entertain himself. Obviously one of his powers has to be Control Flame or Agitate Molecules. So, I'd probably go with Astral Construct, Control Flame, and Energy Bolt, and only use his bonus feat for a psionic feat (no other choice there), using his race feats for just general stuff...

Regardless, I rolled up all but the psion last night. Favored Soul, two thumbs down. The 9 and 7 are way offset by the 18, (2) 15's, and 14, so ability scores have nothing to do with it. Solid abilities. What stinks is that limiting the number of spells he knows how to cast takes away one of a divine caster's true strengths; versatility. Especially considering a cleric's ability to spontaneously cast cure spells anyway.

Rogue, rockin. 7 Wisdom hurts, but 2 12's and 3 16's more than makes up for that. This guy is definitely Face from the A-team. I need to talk to Nick about buying a mule though. With a 12 strength, half of a light load is taken up by leather armor. D&D needs a quick release backpack. As a free action you can dump your cargo.

Scout. Nother good set of stats. 18 Dex + elven means he's got a 20 Dex. Grabbed 2 Weapon Fighting as a feat. Now the question is whether to leave it at that and go the bow route for the +5 to hit or stick with the original idea I had and pursue the High Sword, Low Axe feat in Complete Warrior. Still, I might decide to move the 18 to strength and shift the 15 to Dex. Just depends on whether I go with bow or two-weapon for him. He's a solid character either way. I'll see what the party needs.

Got good stats for the psion. I'm gonna make him now. Sans XPH, which I'll go buy if I decide to play the kid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home