10.01.2005

Finally! The wait is over. I get boned in the pooper!

Oy. I think it was probably way back in April or May that I actually started trying to buy Freeport:City of Adventure. It's hailed far and wide as the best city sourcebook for d20 ever. Part of that is because there are 3-6 adventures published for the book that take characters from level 1 to level 14 or so. Part of it is it's a rip roaring good look at a pirate city, with some solid black powder mechanics. Most of it, though, is that it's well written, beautiful, and presents a solid setting easily adapted into any campaign. Exactly what I'm trying to do. So obviously, I should learn from the master.

Unfortunately, the book was put out in 2000, I think, and went out of print about '02. Hard to find.

Still, I ordered it from B&N in June. Two months later, they call to tell me they can't get the book. They STILL haven't taken it out of the online store or the database real stores order from. So, I ordered it from Amazon. I knew I'd have the same problem with them, so I've been scouting around for the book since I ordered it. TODAY they emailed me to say there was a delay in my order. WTF? I knew there was a dealy in the order on September 10 when the book still hadn't shipped. It took 20 days to tell me that? Worst part is, they STILL haven't shipped the other shit I ordered with the book to get free shipping. :( As soon as they do, I'm cancelling the Freeport part. Better mail my damn DVDs on Monday, the bastards. I need me some Bubba Hotep.

So, through all of this, I've missed two auctions on ebay that went for about $25 each. A bit high since the book retailed for $19.99 (funny how d20 sourcebooks went from 19.99 to 34.95 in 5 years. Paper must be getting rare). *sigh* In the end, I ended up finding an ebay store that had the book listed, contacted the store (in WA) and was assured they had it in stock. Dude was pretty cool and set it aside for me for the weekend, so I bought it today. I figer I give Amazon til Wednesday to mail my DVDs and go or no, I cancel anything not shipped then. In the end, the thing cost me 32.95 total. $13 more than original, but still cheaper than full price on a new hardcover now...

Still, I won't get into a rant about how page count, paper quality, and general editing quality has gone down in WotC products, but price has risen considerably since Hasbro took over. Most frustrating part is that Hasbro didn't really buy WotC for D&D. They bought em for Star Wars, Pokemon, and YugiOh. :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home