4.02.2007

!e! Yep, that many games

Last week, Wendy wasn't feeling up to Cthulu, and I was bemoaning the fact that there was some cool shit in both the Age of Worms and Savage Tide campaign paths that they would never see. So, we made characters for Savage Tide. Wendy and John both made two (John did a fighter and warlock, Wendy did a fighter and spirit shaman), and I filled in the gaps with a personalityless wizard/cleric. I don't know much about the other two, but the DMPC is basically gonna be a booster type filled with self doubt and constantly comparing his own inabilities to the heroic actions of his friends and teammates, while never realizing that he's somewhat and sometimes primarily responsible for the success of those same said heroic actions. On the one hand, I hate the guy, on the other, I'd love to have him as a player character. There's a big understanding with the players, though, that if this guy steals the limelight or gets any favoritism, tell me, and he's out. Also, he's never confidant enough to give an opinion.

That takes care of Horrorble Hump Day (so named for playing Cthulu on Wednesday of course). On to Shadow Sunday.

Turns out that Charlie was/is about as uninterested in having Outback survivalists in Hong Kong as we were in playing that game. Couple that with his current bid to be a Fanpro Commando (John, if that goes through, you'll have to come play SR4 at the Source once a month), and the man is experiencing burnout on our Sunday gaming. Understandable, but frustrating from a player perspective. From now on, my new motto is "Don't quit, kill em." At least then there's an end to the game. ;)

Charlie's original request was for someone else to GM entirely on Sundays. No one jumped up and said, "Oh hell, yeah, I've got this great idea!" So, we started out by making a list of every game that we had and one of us would run. Pretty much everything but Shadowrun had at least one of us waffling on it, and nobody was really willing or confidant enough to dedicate to running that. So, we each picked a game we'd run, and we'll alternate through adventures. For instance, I'll run a Godlike mission, followed by a chapter (or whatever the hell White Wolf calls adventures) of Werewolf ran by Nick, then some Inomine from Justin, and finally SR4 from Charlie. Or some order like that. We'll each finish our respective adventures before passing the GM scepter.

Honestly, I don't expect much story to come out of this. Let's look at our SR4 experiences thus far. Anything more complex than going into a low security building to retrieve some data has taken upwards of four weeks to finish.

Godlike is hard to tell. We had five full combat encounters in six hours of play at GenCon. Having only played it once, I don't know if that's fast or slow. I think it was fast, as I know we blazed through a few encounters on sheer numbers. The game started with 10 players and ended with 6. One encounter was drastically shortened by some quick thinking by a few of us. I think we faced 3 or 4 rival talents that were supposed to be tough, but the sniper took out one with a rifle grenade to the head, and I blew up the human torch by saying "Hot Potato" and tossing him a satchel charge, which he caught instinctively, blowing us both up, but not so badly that I didn't regenerate. :) I digress.

So, let's say four weeks average per SR4 run. 1 week to research, 1 to get in and hit a cliffhanger, 1 to fight the big bad and run away, and 1 to hide out and drop the loot. Let's say 3 weeks on Godlike. Werewolf? Hell, I don't know, 3-6 depending on whether Nick runs a thick story or just full on bruiser sessions. Inomine is a wild card, but let's stick with the average and say 4. So, I run a Godlike session. It'll be 11-14 weeks before I run another one, barring weekends off for camping, tournaments, conventions, weddings, vacations, etc. Think any of us are gonna remember what the hell we were doing 3 months ago?

My bet is we rethink the whole think around Gen Con. Consider the 29th is our next session, and that one's character development. Add that to us probably playing twice in May, most of June, and probably twice in July. What you have is Gen Con coming on and we've played one mission of Godlike or Werewolf and maybe one round of Shadowrun.

But who knows, that might be great for my ADD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home