4.20.2007

Checking in

For those that read this that don't chat with me in some other forum, the promotion is working out well. Had three days this week flying solo and scored one comment of "You picked this up very quick!" Well, yeah. I fix shit that other people broke. Not that hard. Oh, and they pay me to break stuff during "testing." Also not hard. I got $6 more an hour for it. Whoot.

In worse news, I won't be posting any updates on getting published in Dungeon or Dragon magazine. Why? WotC isn't continueing the license with Paizo, so the mags are closing as of September. Makes me sad. I'm flying a wait and see on both WotC's proposed online content and Paizo's Pathfinder subscription service.

The Pathfinder is a 96 page bound book adventure path (first campaign runs levels 1-15 in 6 books) that sounds like it's a mix of Dungeon and Dragon mag content with the added advantage of being OGL. My trouble with it is the $19.99 plus $4 shipping price point. That's steep. First, it's only slightly less than a WotC splat book, and it's not hard cover. Granted, I paid more for 150ish pages in Expeditious Retreat material, but I'm always making new worlds. I usually only run published adventures in a pinch. My main reason for the subscriptions to the mags was to stay abreast of what they needed in submissions. It's a prestige thing I guess. Some people look confused when I say I've got shit published with a 3rd party publisher, but their eyes light up as if I'm famous when I then mention I have submissions into Dungeon mag...

Still, I get the first issue of Pathfinder with my subscription credit, so we'll see how it is. And I'll see what WotC puts out, too. Most importantly, I'll see how the restructuring in both companies affects the freelance market. The plus side is that not trying to do at least one subscription a month frees up more time for pursuing bigger paid projects. The down side is that 5 cents a word is so much more than 1/2 a cent per word, and the 5 is gone now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home