5.18.2005

The Divine Signal

I spent most of my adolescence gaming in Forgotten Realms and reading those novels. When I wasn't reading FR novels, I was hitting up the Dragonlance pretty hard.

As for the deities of the Realms, I remember two. Cyric, cause I really enjoyed when he kicked Bane's ass outta the realm of death, and Tyr, cause he plays a prominent role in Neverwinter Nights, which I'm playing now... Dragonlance, jack and shit. Bahamut and Tiamat is all I remember about divinity in those series.

Apparently, though, deites make the setting. Not Elminister, Drizz't, Tanis, the kender, the Knights of the Rose, draconians, or the lunar influences on magic. What evidence do I have of this? My campaign.

The only element in my campaign that is Greyhawk is the deites. This is for two reasons. 1)With two still fairly new players, it's easier on them to use the gods straight outta the PHB (hell, one can't even be bothered to read that before spouting deific knowledge). 2) With only one player ever making a character with any kind of patron deity, and no one in this campaign making clerics, the gods aren't the focus of this campaign, so why focus on them when making up the game world?

But, despite the fact that the Greyhawk deiteis are the "default" deities, my campaign's associated with Greyhawk. *shrug* I don't get it.

Too early in the morning for me to do more than rant about it, though.

Edit: Paladine and Takhisis. See. Justs proves my point. Thanks, Nick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home