5.17.2005

The calendar

I had a thought about turning my present homebrew into a campaign published by the as yet mythical Organ Grinder Press. Thus, I should stop throwing all of my ideas up here on my blog, but screw that. Then I'd just complain about the chance the Republican ran Senate is gonna kill filibustering as a viable alternative to Judicial crap coming from the White House. Wonder how they'll feel when the coin flips....

Anyway, I've been working on the calendar for my campaign. I'm thinking I'm gonna base it tentatively on the Mayan's three calendars. There will be two. The annual count is maintained by the "Ichian Imperial Count". This format runs like so Emperor.Age of present Emperor.Season (1-4).Day of Season. For instance, I think present day in the current campaign might be 6.16.4.98. This would indicate the era of the 6th Emperorer, he being only 16, on the 98th day of the winter calendar.

The second calendar is the seasonal calendar, simply counting the days of the season, with four names (duh). So, 32 Sharlter would be the 32nd day of spring. The seasonal changes are based on the changes in the Imperial capitol, so the 98th day of winter, or 98 Slumbrajen, would definitely not be literally the 98th day of winter in the heat of the Green River Valley.

I still need to work on holidays, but I'm thinking the new year is celebrated on Budding Day, which is when the trees first start to bloom.... There'll probably be an imperially sanctioned holy day for each individual deity, but each church will have its own set of holidays for its worshippers. There'll be a few standard ones for sure. The emperor's birthday, prolly the birthdays of the dead emperors, some sort of imperial celebration of the formation of the empire... Since the early empire stamped down on cultural celebrations, local stuff will only be things like a local prince's birthday or the founding of a city day, shit like that. Local planting celebrations and the like, too, though they'll be smaller than the seasonal celebrations held across the empire on those days in the capital....

Hope all that makes since, still haven't ran it by the players.

Now I gotta work on the wizard school and the social structure of the empire. Mostly the wizard school, cause, while I have the major figures taken care of, the setting is pretty lacking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home