5.20.2005

A cat with a lime helmet

Nick's blog got me thinking about when I was the happiest and most excited about everything. Initially, I thought it was in New Mexico, as that's when the majority of my party stories come from, and that's when I spent the most time alone in the desert wilds around Tucumcari (such as they are). Realistically, though, I hated the school I was in, hated living in a trailer, hated taking responsibility for my family while my mom and step-dad worked their asses off, and hated not having any direction.

Then I thought it was Clay City, '96-'00, but if you think about it, I could have stayed there, delivering pizzas and doing odd jobs til something permanent came along. I made enough scratch to stay. My friends there rock, miss em tons, and there's a lot to be said about yer bros meetin you in the parking lot of yer job to pick you up for a night of partying. So, that couldn't have been the happiest, or I would have stayed. Prolly a lot of not staying stems from the complete lack of a future I felt I had at the time I left.

My next line of thought had me thinking it was now, and I still think it is, but for different reasons than I'd originally thought. Initially, I was thinking that I'm so satisfied with life (despite being unable to decide where to go with it) because I had good friends and Wendy at game night (which I'm totally pumped for tonight), a couple of jobs that I totally kick ass at, and just all around general goodness.

But that's not the case. No. I realized that I'm happiest when I'm learning something new. Cheesy as it sounds, it's true. Now, I'm feeling like I'm growing as a DM, and I'm loving the story that we're creating with the characters and setting. I'm learning how to run the game, yet concede the power to the players and their characters, instead of making the adventures that I want to run. That's helping in a lot of interpersonal ways, too (but I won't go into that much).

Hopefully, on top of the dork gaming crap, this summer I'll learn a little more about fishing, and near the end of it, a whole lot about saving money for something other than a wedding. I'd say there's room to learn about being married, but Wendy and I have lived together for 4 frickin years, so I don't think much is gonna change on that front, cept for taxes and health insurance.

What I wanna learn most write now, is how to close a blogpost without signing off in some uber gay fashion like:

Shafe-out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home