11.06.2004

Review: 76 hour week

Well, Joe posted the 10 jobs worse than sawmilling, and mine weren't on there. Individually, neither of them suck that bad. In tandem, and with my schedule aligned as it is, every other week is gonna suck hard, crusty ball sacks.

You see, at the hospital, we're on an 8/80 overtime schedule. That means if I work more than 8 horus a day, I get OT. 80 hours in two weeks nets the same. 40 doesn't mean shit. They take full advantage of that, with three of the four of us working 7 or 8 days in a row, and me working 6 days in one week, with Friday off. Our schedule runs Monday-Sunday paywise.

At Barnes & Noble, the schedule runs Sunday- Saturday, which always manages to screw me on the schedule front. For instance, this week, I had Sunday, Friday and Saturday off, but "next" week I work Sunday, so even though they're nice and only schedule me four days, I still work five days at B&N during my hospital week. Make sense?

So, my schedule this week was/is Monday - Thursday, 8am-11:30pm, B&N meeting Friday that ran 9a-1p, Saturday 3pm-11:30pm, and Sunday 9am-11:30pm. I get off at 1pm at B&N, then have 2 hours to run home, shower, eat, and hit Fairview by 3pm.

How do I manage? A good woman. Don't think I'm kissing ass here, cause Wendy doesn't even read my damn blog. She's got two jobs herself, but barely hits 50ish hours a week most of the time (although coming into Christmas, that'll pick up for her). Despite that, she still manages to keep the apartment clean, take care of the cats, keep leftovers on hand for me to eat, and wash laundry. If not for that, I'd be spending $12-$17 a day on food, cause Minneapolis restaurants have an $8-$10 delivery minimum, plus lunch in a mall, PLUS I'd be wearing dirty clothes, and the cats woulda starved to death.

So, I guess this is more of a review of a good woman than a review of a 76 hour work week. Sorry for the misnomer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home