10.23.2004

Unicorn Honor Blitz vs. RED Crab Follower Heavy

Well, we finally got to play more than one game. Ran a best of three tonight. Nick's RED deck is loaded with followers and items, and if he's not gold screwed it's tough.

First game, I played tactially shitty. Sacrificed a couple of personalities to bad math, and lost despite having a good start and taking the first province. I know where I should have played differently, and I should have won this one, as Nick got lots of gold, but few peops early.

Second game, I got an early Shinsei's Shrine out, which made honor running the way to go. Despite that, I still played aggresively, as did Nick, so the game went fast, just like the first one. He kept dropping From Every Side on defense, which slowed me militarily, but I honored out, with four provinces and matching him peop for peop, so he couldn't win.

Third game, we both had trouble getting people into play. I got a third turn Chagatai off of Plains Above Evil, and he pumped the guy that gets a bonus for each follower full of followers. An arms race ensued, keeping me from buying gold very fast. I don't think I had more than 2 peops out until after I'd lost my first province, but Nick had the same problem. Thing is, if I knew how to read, I might not have lost either of the provnices, because I was playing/counting based on a Fear effect that didn't exist. With me at two provinces and Nick at three, I went balls to the wall, and instead of cavalrying around him, went for the big battle. Won that by a mere 3 force, Nick flipped 1 person, 2 holdings on his next turn and called it a game.

In each of the games, I think Diversionary Tactics was the card for me. That and Kanako's Charge. Each game I sat on and discarded to RED the same damn cards, too. The mercy card that reacts to winning a battle, but doesn't bow your army or destroy the opposing army. And the card that lets you destroy one or two units led by a person of less than 7 gold (cause there ain't none of them in Crab that Nick uses).

One of the damn annoying things about Nick's deck, WHEN IT WORKS, is the penchant for getting cavalry. If he put a few more resources into that, and added a Ring of Water, he'd have a deck really close to the Water Crabs that everybody loves on the tournament scene right now (so I'm told). Moto Steed, that damn Unicorn Shugenja. Add Way of the Horse and Bow from Dawn...mean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home