10.16.2004

A multitude of reviews: My birthday

Well, the big 2 - 7 day came yesterday. Pretty slow build up up to the day, then Thursday came and a flurry of activity hit. It started off on Thursday with the arrival of our new couch, a card from me mum, and the post office delivery some much anticipated anime. Friday continued the fun with the bash of the century at my pad. We'll start with the couch.

The couch is "army green", which is not to say Olive Drab Green, but more a darker, muted moss green. Bella suede. Bout 100" long. Forkin nice. Soft suede exterior wrapped around a slightly firm, very sturdy base, with great cushions on the back. The ass shelf is deep enough that Wendy can sit cross legged and still have space to spare, making it great for yoga and the obligatory "breaking in" of the furniture.

Anime Arigato came through on the cheap anime front, all looking very legit in packaging and disc quality. For the price, I was worried the stuff was bootlegged. I got all 6 episodes of FLCL for under $10, the entire Outlaw Series (26 episodes) for less than $25, and scored three of the best Cowboy Bebop soundtracks for less than $9 a piece. Add to that a beautiful, muted wall scroll of CB that blends perfectly with the new couch, the classy art Wendy scored, and the awesome display of her Scotland photos, and all our living room is missing is a nice entertainment center.

For the party, we scored loads of alcohol, cause we weren't sure what people would bring. I rented a few games and movies, and all we forgot was ice. Wendy's coworker, Gina, showed up with ice and booze. Nick showed up with ice and booze. Phil showed up with ice and games. Katie/Anthony brought food. We didn't really need to buy too much of what we bought, but hey, now I got a bar in my house. Party kicked off with breaking out the "20 Game Master Arcade Series" Phil scored me for my bday. Played the shit out of some Rampage World Tour! Gotta love kicking the damn gorilla in the nads, specially when the gorilla is Nick. hehe. Played some Gauntlet II, a brief attempt at Cyberball, and watched Phil own on MK II, cause he still fucking remembers all of those damn moves.

Later, we played a little "Showdown: Legends of Wrestling" and started a short game of "Star Wars: Battlefronts" before we broke out the "Lunch Money". Lunch Money rocks with 7 people. Specially when Gina's defining characteristic is her devout Catholicity (made that word up), and so many of the cards have flavor text like, "Yes, Jesus hates you." One of the game highlights was her saying, "Anthony, I don't know you very well, but so far I think you're a sweet guy. However, this child on this card disturbs me, and the quote makes me sad. Therefore, I must Spinning Backfist you."

Then there was Nick walking around like Hacksaw Jim Douggan all night. hehe.

Game reviews:

20 Game Arcade Masters Series.

Not gonna list all of the games on this one, but it'll take ya back. I mean, where can you find NARC now if you're feeling sentimental? At my house, baby, that's where. I wouldn't classify all of the games as part of an arcade Master Series, but enough of em rock to make the purchase worth while, and to make it a hard rockin gift. Not much need for review, we've all played em in the arcades, we all remember em.

Pirates: The Legend of the Black Kat

So far, a pretty simple game, and I doubt I pursue it too much further. Supposed to be 2 player, but our Blockbuster no longer puts the damn manuals in their rentals. If I bothered with it, I'd find the 2 player function, but I think it's just ship to ship versus mode anyway. Game play is smooth enough, and there are two modes, walking and sailing.

Story sucks, as yer a chic that finds out from her governer father that your long lost mom was a pirate, in a note from yer dad as he was getting killed by another pirate... The game doesn't really capture any kind of piratical feel either. It looks like there's about 15 or so islands to visit, but I cleared the first one (in so far as I could without special keys) in about 30 minutes. Graphics are nothing special, and it's damn annoying when you get hit by a giant crab cause itlooks like a damn rock, but isn't really supposed to.

Showdown: Legends of Wrestling

If I hadn't played enough wrestling games to understand the basic controls, I'd be pissed that this one didn't come with a book. There are tutorials from Brett "The Hitman" Hart, but the disc is wonky, as they freeze. Stupid Blockbuster. Anyway, gameplay is a lot like all of the other pro wrestling titles. You CAN make your own wrestling legend, but the whole point in this one is to be "Super Fly" Snuka or the Von Erichs. I went to church with the Von Erichs, by the way. Great guys, just lived a little too hard. One of em was my youth minister in Texas. I digress.

Hell, even Andy Kauffman is in this game. Each wrestler has about 3 costumes each, which you choose when you pick them. I gotta play it a bit more, as figuring out any game during a Battle Royale is tough stuff. So far, I don't like that there isn't any fanfare and entry video, the matches just start, and I don't like that the damn "anything goes, hardcare 3-way dance" had nothing in the way of chairs, signs, flaming barbed wire, or old TVs duct-taped together with a piece of cardboard spouting "NWWA Hardcore Match" where the glass should be.

And that's that. And since I may or may not have told everyone that came last night to read my blog, cause I tell everyone that, but prolly forgot with all of the social excitement...Thanks to everyone that came, thanks for the gifts, thanks for the "happy birthdays", and thanks especially for the 6 pounds of ice in my freezer, as we've not bought ice trays since Wendy left them in the old apartment, even though they're $1 a piece... How's that for a run-on?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home