3.30.2006

devastated septum

I've been tooling around my various blogs, forums, and news sites hoping something would catch my imagination for blogging, but no luck. So you get a shopping list instead. I was thinking I'd drop my entertainment allowance this check on some D&D books or another (loved Tome of Magic, I should blog a review of that). The question is, do I grab some books that'll help in the campaign I'm desperately trying to get started, or do I grab some action that'll keep my prep time to a minimum in the games we play before the campaign gets started?

In category A we have:
Oriental Adventures: I have a lot of notes from this book, but since one of the major national powers in the immediate starting area is a pseudo Japanese empire, it would be a handy tome to have at the table

Magic of Incarnum/Expanded Psionics Handbook: One of the big things I want to do with this campaign is provide a different flavor of magic. Rather than the organized schools of wizardry and disorganized innate sorcerer abilities of the core D&D Vancian system, I'd like there to be something else. The aforementioned oriental culture doesn't have arcane spellcasters, instead using shugenja as a form of mystic samurai, but that's not moving away from the Vancian system, just limiting it. The turu only use Shadow magic from Tome of Magic, so there's a different feel. Psionics and soul magic would be a big change.

Spell Compendium: More spells. Kind of a dumb idea for a setting that you're trying to steer away from standard magic, but I love me some magic.

Races of the Dragon: Since dragons are the major deities in the setting, this is a good book for adding some "natural" weirdness in.

In category B there are just a few, but a couple of em are big:

Compleat Encounters: This is a series put out by Paizo. For $16 you get a scaleable adventure and three unpainted minis. Hell, I'd buy em for the minis, so you add an adventure that I could use in our random advenutres prior to starting the campaign and I'm sold.

World's Biggest Dungeon: This product is heavy. Seriously, it weighs in at over 5 pounds. That's a lot of dungeon. For the $100 price tag, it better be. Stuposedly it uses every monster that's in the SRD, so that's pretty much the entire first monster manual aside from a few iconic figures (squid heads, cats with tentacles, etc). Years of exploration are held within, and since one of the things the crew wants most is dungeon exploration, this solves that problem infinitely.

Shackled City Adventure Path: This series of adventures originally appeared in Dungeon magazine. For $60 it takes the party from level 1 through level 20 in a complete campaign. I'm interested in it cause I'd love to see how the "pros" handle a full campaign. Mostly, that's a lot of time to spend on one plot, so I'd like to see how they keep it inetersting....

Really, I prolly have enough unplayed adventures in my Dungeon subcription to last so I don't need to buy more adventures. Of course, we're not playing in the campaign yet either, so I don't necessarily needto buy stuff for that, either, specially when I could just go to B&N and figure out all the shit I need....

*shrug*
Gotta poop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home