3.28.2006

Shonen Jump

A quick review for SJ, cause I'm work, can't flip through the pages and might have forgot something, but I have nothing else to chat about, so here you go.

Whistle
Blah. I kind of dug Eyeshield 21, but I'm not too into sports manga. Add to that the general difficulty of getting me interested in a title with one chapter in SJ and I'm just not interested in Whistle at all. Although I like soccer (especially the Swedish, English, US, and Japanese women's teams) I'm just not too worried about the subtle cheating and moral dilemmas of young players.

Naruto
Naruto lays out the next phase of the tournament, gives the characters a month to train, and introduces us to a little more info on some behind the scenes plots that are brewing, especially concerning the still unconscious Sasuke. We get to meet/remeet Naruto's knew trainer, and I'm damn sorry I missed Naruto's "doppleganger harem" technique from a past issue. The series wraps up with a knew character that could swing either direction on the pro or ant sides of the agonist line. There was a rather long exposition on stamina manipulation regarding chakra and techniques, but it was done with such a funny looking, almost stick figure design that I dug it. Hell, Wendy wants a t-shirt from one of the panels.

One Piece
Rock. A little blast from the past shows up as the gang explores Roguetown. Zolo gets some new swords and mebbe falls in love. Sanji, of course, finds a hottie to lust over. Then shit hits the fan. Not one, but four villains return, and as if that's not enough, we're introduced to another arch rival for Luffy's crew, Captain "White Chase" Smoker. It's too easy folks, I'm not touching it. Fun character work as we see each of the crew just being themselves, and we get a cliffhanger at the end. Good laughs sprinkled throughout, too.

Hikaru No Go
The Lion's Tournament finally begins. We cut through all of the games and end on a cliffhanger with Hikaru's game nearing it's finale. Not much to be said on this one without giving away the results of the tourney, except at least one pro gets put in his place, and I think we'll get some more tension between Toya and Hikaru brewing in this arc.

YuYu Hakusho
The tourney continues. Genkai pulls out a trick on ponytail boy and we meet the final member of their opponents (who is a joke). Love brews, a little hero worship develops, and I don't remember the ending. Since YYH is usually my least favorite out of the stories I read, it has to work harder for me to dig. I got some good chuckles out of it, and the action did keep me reading, so this one's on par with the standards I set for the title.

Shaman King
Yoh and the band travel Route 66. Pompador boy (can never remember his name) is the Legendary Hitchhiker. In the search for the Patch village, the crew discovers more than they should, and they meet a hottie Seminole shaman named (I think) Lilirara. Mmmmm. Really, though, this series is mostly just full of the usual "Why/how is Yoh so calm and easy going at a moment like this?" Not much else happens. Hell, I even thought the first couple of pages would have made a better place to end last month's series than where they did. Regardless, Lilirara is hot enough for me, so this series served its purpose. ;)

As usual, I skipped YuGiWontGoAway.

PS. Everytime the annoying woman on the other side of my cubicle says, "I just don't know what to do with myself," (which is at least once a day to get attention from her coworkers) I have to fight the urge to say, "There're two bridges just 1/4 mile away. I can give you a ride if you'd like."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home