3.16.2005

20%?

Just a quickie and then I'll head home.

In response to my rant below, John points at that Nature magazine says there's only a 20% emissions savings because of the nitrogen oxide released in pulling hydrogen out of natural gas. Since Nature is a bit elitist with their website and won't let me read their articles without paying $30, I couldn't read the article, but I believe John.

Except for their article, though I couldn't find any other source to say yes or no on the 20% savings. I did find an article that verifies nitrogen oxide is indeed a byproduct of pulling hydrogen out of natural gas. That article is here:
http://www.science.org.au/nova/063/063key.htm

However, and again, I don't know if the article in Nature mentions any of this, the above linked article points out the green house gases are released by a method known as steam reforming, where the natural gas is superheated to the point the molecules actually break down. Other methods such as electorlysis let us yank H out of H2O with no negative emissions. Some other methods have less to no emissions as well, such heating the natural gas or other materials to a lower temperature for a longer time. Steam reforming just happens to be the most common method used at present.

But now my boss is here and I have to go home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home