1.31.2005

Review:SDF Strange Patterns

Summamabitch. Personally, I think this one's the best SDF eva. Let's review:

Oh wait, before I begin, you can purchase your very own copy of Strange Patterns from
www.torcpress.com. Unfortunately it's snail mail, but I guaruntee you'll get your copy. This shit is legit.

The ish opens with a day in the life of Cactus Joe. Our man Joe Joe showers, grows his armor, gets dressed, and he and Pengy plan for some up and coming comic book action. A knock on the door reveals.... You'll have to finish the comic.

A Frimpy comic follows, then a "Primitive" comic. Chase that with the best Halloween Man/Doomharvest EVER, then wrap it all up with Cosmic Fool and King Smooth, and you got the makings of a damn good five bucks.

For me, the most impressive aspects of the comic are the detailed backgrounds and the expressiveness in the characters faces. There's never any question what emotion the characters are feeling at any point in the comic. I think the ultimate examples of this are Halloween Man throughout his entire story, and Pengy during a hallucination containing Cactus Joe's death. I almost cried. Seriously.

I'd like to review more, but my woman just stole the comic. Sorry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jorge Mackton said...

Thanks for the review, Shafe m'boy! Always cool when someone digs the work. The funny thing is I'm starting to get a very wide variety of opinions on what's kickin in this issue. You dug the Mosquito Island stuff, Tate dug King Smooth, Boolah dug Cosmic Fool, ect. Gotta say, I like it that the anthology format is actually kinda working.

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home