1.19.2005

another day older and no internet

Well, internet went down again on Monday. Quite the stupid situation, too. We could utilize programs like MSN Messenger and Wendy's damn Weatherbug. Hell, we could even access Yahoo and check email. However, we couldn't go outside of Yahoo for anything.

First time I called the cable company on Monday, the ass on the phone insisted it was spyware. No amount of arguing would convince him otherwise, despite the fact that it was unlikely BOTH of our computers would have the same spyware since they'd not been on at the same time that day. So, diligently, I ran all of our anti-virus and anti-spyware software, to no avail.

After much tinkering while on the phone this morning, we got the internet working with a direct link from my compy to the modem. Pretty much means my router's bad. Weird thing is, we can transfer files across the network, but the router won't let us use the internet. I thought it was especially nice the way the cable tech directed me to call my router company when I asked about IP settings and what not (that's sarcasm by the way). Granted, they can't be expected to know everything about every router or hub, but that's really something you want to tell the customer when they ask the FIRST fucking question. It's really ammo you want to save for assholes that don't give up.

Regardless, I'm on the verge of dropping our cable company all together and switching back to dial up, but knocking over to cell phones on the phone front. Maybe I'll just switch over to a data phone line and go with DSL or something.... The whole thing costs maybe $15 more a month than what we're running now, but that's nothing compared to the $45 we save dropping TV that way, I think. Catch there is the start-up cost on both the cell phones and the new phone lines, plus the fact that the woman wants a Motorola Razor phone if she gets anything at all. Which means Cingular if you want the phone on the cheap, and that's a bit more expensive.

Cingular's got the most coverage areas nationwide, but T-Mobile's cheaper in our area (plus they've got Catherine Zeta Jones). I'd personally rather have Nextel, just for the bad ass walkie-talkie feature, but I think Nextel was the most expensive. No wait, Verizon Wireless was, which made no sense, cause they had the least deals on phones, the least features, and the highest prices. I think they ahd the smallest coverage areas, too. *shrug*

Of course, I'm lazy, so I doubt any of that happens any time soon. Specially cause this weekend I'm blowin all my cash on flowers, cake, DJs and decorations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home