3.17.2006

I do.

Man. They're discussing gay marriage on MPR. A lady just called in and basically said, "I can accept gay marriage, but since God say's it's bad, it's bad. See, it's not me being discriminatory, it's God, and he's the boss. I'm just toeing the corporate line, basically." Here's the thing, though. The spokeswoman had the best comment. She's Mormon and her mom is devoutly Mormon. When she asked her mom how she could hold such strong Mormon convictions and still love her daughter, lesbian partner and their kids. I'm with her mom on this one.

God sets out what His people should do and believe. HOWEVER, he clearly says, "Judge not, lest ye be judged yourselves." So, you can follow His path and offer guidance, BUT it's not YOUR place to PREVENT others from sinning. That's between them and God. Nuff said.

Now, I'm not even gonna touch on this bastard that's talking about family protections and growing the population, etc. Based on this guy's speech, I'd say we shouldn't just ban gay marriage. We should banning marriage from EVERY couple that doesn't intend to have children. You should only be able to get married if you intend to get married, and I'd go so far as to require pregnancy before marriage, AND require marriage after pregnancy. No more divorce until your kids are 18 and moved out of their house, too. If marriage is solely to facilitate raising children, it should be about just that.

Anyway, that's one of those rare socio-religious posts you'll get from me. I just feel that in a democracy, there's NO room for religious guidance in public policy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home