3.13.2006

Fingering the keyboard

I was thinking about doing an article for a freezine about modern computing wonders I could see around the corner based on the Microsoft Origami "ultra mobile personal computer." I'm lazy though. $15 is a lot of money in the industry for a 300 word piece, but not enough for me to write a 3000 word piece.

Here's an idea I was thinking about for the article, which I'll post here cause I think it's purty cool and mebbe some genius type technician will pick it up and run with it.

Text messaging is becoming increasingly popular, and of course a phone keypad is based solely on 12 keys arranged in 4 rows of three. What else has four rows of three items? Your fingers. Four fingers, three little bones between the joints. How cool would it be if your UMPC's keyboard was a touch sensitive glove you were. Hell, you mouse pointer could be controlled via a sensor on your thumb, ran across the tip of the index finger or palm (finger is easier to control because they "world's smallest violin" gesture comes pretty naturally). Since the younger generation that's had text messaging since age 3 can fly through a conversation that way on their phones, they'd easily slip into the new style of computing.

Now, take this glove, make it wireless, mix it with sunglasses that'll project your UMPC desktop onto the inside of the lens, and you've got a sweet mobile platform you can carry in your backpack. Combine it with the fact that many cities are developing public access, city wide wireless networks, and you've got some sweet shit going on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Petey said...

Whoa...did you post three things in one day? So far? Hmmmmmm...

They should make toe-keyboards so that I can type with my feet while using my hands to simultaneously eat Chex Mix and punch anyone that comes into my office...

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home