11.30.2005

Shonen Jump, Jan 06

Got this months SJ in. For some reason, I got two copies. One to me, and one to Amazing Shafeman of Shafecorp. Did someone gift me with a second subcription? Anyone?

On to the review.

We start this month with a 55 page sneak peek at "Gin Tama," a futuristic "samurai vs. aliens" manga. It's the usual boy meets boy that ruins his life but then helps save his sister from prositution story, with the ruined boy falling in love with the saviour boy in the end. Good stuff, but I'm expecting some latent homosexuality in it somewhere. That's pretty standard for samurai, though, and it means Wendy'll read it. :)

We follow that up with 3 chapters of Naruto. Good times. Naruto finishes off his match against Kiba with a couple of surprises and leaves everyone in awe of the ending. Then Hinata and Neji start their battle with Neji verbally abusing Hinata, until Naruto ruins his rant and ends the final chapter with his big mouth. As usual. Good times, and I'm really digging this series of battles. This arc is why Naruto box sets are on my Christmas list. Good stuff.

From that hard on we sail straight into One Piece. We see the conclusion of Zolo's battle with Hachi, the conclusion of Kuroobi's battle with Sanji, a little innovation in attempting to save Luffy from the ocean floor, and Usopp's battle with kiss boy is the cliff hanger at the end. I'm not sure if Usopp's battle will change him permanently, but at least right now he's growing some balls and fighting. With some serious ingenuity to boot. It'd be nice to see Usopp as the brains player in the group while everyone else just goes balls on straight forward. Rockin three chapters as usual.

Only two chapters of Shaman King, bummer. The group fights Ren's dad. He pisses and moans a lot and acts like a bad ass, but really, that just makes it a little boring during the fight. *shrug* I'm sure next issue will wrap up the fight in a big way.

Hikaru no Go is also just two chapters. The first is more friend building what have you. The second is actually and ancient Go history lesson, played out by the HnG characters. Not bad stuff.

YuYu Hakusho is build up. A little fighting at the end, but nothing major.

I skipped Yu-Gi-Oh, but the issue comes with a free Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon Card. I think I'll put both of mine on eBay. mebbe make a buck.

Oh yeah, one of my issues had TWO copies of the Hikaru no Go game sample in it, so I have three of those. Anyone want a copy?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Potential for homoeroticism?! Subtext?! *squee* *takes Shonen Jump to Emily's for a good cuddle* ;)
Love you...I do....really...even if I am flawed...being female and all...we'd be lovely if I were a boy...(I think I've finally lost it...It may be time for an intervention. heh heh)

10:02 AM  
Blogger Jorge Mackton said...

Took me a little while to score Shonen Jump, so my comments are a bit delayed...

Pretty much agree with you on about everything except that Hikaru no Go felt painfully superfulous this issue.

See? I told you Usopp was a worthwhile character. Never doubt Eichio Oda.

3:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home