12.08.2004

disjointed L5R takes two

To recap, busy. Explorer just killed my post. Not sure if Microsoft hates me, Blogger hates me, or God hates me. Someone does.

Anyway, so last night we got some L5R in. One game just Nick and I, one game Nick and I with John watching, and one three way dance with John, Nick and myself. Unfortunately, Nick took my ribbing about his ancient cards a little too seriously. While I do hate those cards, and I just posted a frickin encyclopedia of why on
his blog, I wasn't at all serious about them last night. After all, one of those gold edition cards in his Crab deck allowed John to bitch slap Nick with a pretty sweet combo and go on to win the game.

So, both duels were my Unicorn against Nick's Shadowlands. The Uni deck is meant to produce power mad pony boys with lots of followers and weapons. I pulled one follower all night, and got maybe three weapons in play, two of which were on the Khan during battle. Which begs the question, is it just a bad deck? Prolly, since most of the choice cards go into the Nezumi Boomstick. Well, I'd say it's just mediocre. Still.

If I remember right, the first game started pretty close. In the end, I'd dropped Nick to two provs, and he had me to one. I made a bonehead play, twice, which cost me two battles, but not any provinces. I think if I'd flipped a decent personality, I could have held one...no wait, if I'd drawn any kind of battle action at all, but I drew a retribution. I could have defended and lived through his next attack, but I'd lost all my peeps. I bowed.

Second game was when we had the most "can I take that back" moments, as we were both trying to explain what was going on to John. My first turn Chrysanthemum Festival and slow gold build gave Nick an early hoard lead, and again, I wasn't drawing crap. For some reason I wasn't thinking about the game much either. In retrospect, without knowing what cards Nick didn't get a chance to play, I should have done better. Best play I had was letting him take one province with no D, using all his peeps, then using retribution with Chagatai and killing the prov holding Iuchiban. I think this game had the most bitching, cause Nick had a beyond old Jade edition holding that lets you bow a personality (may be a shug, can't remember) in order to bring a dead human, into play with the only penalties being a -2c and gaining shadowlands trait. Thing is, he can do that EVERY TURN as the holding doesn't need to be bowed. Considering how cheap the holding is, you can see why'd I'd crack bad jokes about him cheating. ;)

Final game saw John using Nick's Crab follower deck, with Nick and I both playing Phoenix. Now, my Phoenix deck blows hard chunks. Last deck I made, meaning it's got the leftovers of the leftovers of the leftovers for cards. And I forgot how to play it. Ideally, I would have got out Walking the Way, used that to grab Iron Citadel and just built a fort. But I forgot that til the game was over. Then, in an entire game, playing Phoenix, I got out four Shugenja and three spells. Not good with the Open spells box as your stronghold. Oh yeah, started with some heavy gold screw, too.

So, John attacked me once, I defended with my one person and didn't lose the province, cause he attacks very carefully, being sure to leave someone on defense. Then, John attacked Nick once, and Nick sent his peeps home. Next John attacked Nick again, and asked me to help. I did, with my two shugs.

Two battles. First, Nick sent John's beef home, and I bowed my Shug to off his unbowed guy. We tied with 0F. Second battle, Nick again sent John's beef home, and I blew up my Shug with Fires of the Phoenix to kills his bitch with the Phoenix sword. After that we all built for a round, then John attacked me, and Nick asked to help. With shit in my hand but Kihos and my one Shug bowed, I let it through and lost 3 provs. I coulda blocked and saved one, but woulda lost me whole army. Nick and John had both commited their whole fighting force (Nick had a utility shug held back to retrieve cards).

My turn I flipped Seruma and decided to gamble on her flipping another perons. So, I kept one shug heavy hitter back for D and attacked Nick. I coulda took 3 provs, but that woulda left me relying solely on Seruma and whoever else came into play after her, so I just took two provs. Buy Seruma, and flip a damn holding. That wrapped it up for me.

So, on Nick's turn, not having enough to take my last prov, he opted to bust down one of John's. Too bad for him, John had been holding a Call to Arms all game. He unbowed all of his peeps and blocked Nick. Now, Nick could have taken some of John's peeps with him, which woulda have meant I could have prolly blocked him for one more turn, but he didn't. So, he lost his army. Then, John played one of Nick's Gold edition cards I always rag him about (counterattack) and wiped Nick out on Nick's own turn. So, on John's turn, he had 20+ total force to my 7. He won. Great job for being his first game, too.

Tune in this weekend for a report on the first ever D&D Air Corps Hold 'Em Fighter Pilots vs. Military Intelligence/Spec Forces Poker Tournament. And possibly the game time introduction for G-leaf. Maybe I'll finally memorize all 6 of his damn Common language names. I don't even wanna try the gnomish shit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home