10.07.2004

Nezumi Boomstick vs. Lion Terrain Control, again

Played again last night at http://62.142.214.30/l5r/. Nick, if you read my blog, go make a deck. You too, Joe. It's a great place to A)find a game when no one's around, and B)test a deck before dropping tons of cash on it. Best of all, it's free and there seems to be more great people than dicks there. Kind of like the wolf den, Joe, but you can ignore the dicks easier.

Anyway, I ended up playing the French Lion again. Great guy. His handle is Matsu lemitsu I think. He gets kind of embarrased about his English, but I've not had any problems with that, and he's understanding about mistakes (cause I've not memorized my own cards, let alone all cards), as well as very knowledgable about all aspects of the game. And most important, he gives you props when you make a nice move.

So, last night he had no problems with gold. In fact, he took an early province before I did. I came back with a swarm and managed to get in a narrow ground after he saced a terrain to bow a loaded down T'k (Crippled Bone Runner and 3 0F ratling tokens pumped with a conj), and then dropped a Shallow Graves with Akodo's Grave. That let me send home everybody but an Ik'krt with 2 0F tokens and tie his forces. I lost a 2F guy with token, he lost 7F worth of peeps and an Anvil of Earth. Not a bad trade. Thing was, the Shallow was just to draw out the terrain control. If he'd left it in, I'da had to send everyone home, cause he still had me beat with it. :)

Course, if I could have taken the prov, I'da knocked out Musume AND a 7F personality (daimyo I think). That bastard roughed me up for awhile, all the more after his Champion came into play. Between a very fortunate series of Fall to Your Knees and Scouting Maneuvers, I had a tough time holding my own against those guy. He FtYKed two Tsuruchi Techniques and a Sneak Attack. Add to it, at most I had two Bushi out, but couldn't draw anything but Direct Assaults and Iron Pillars, and I was hosed.

Prolly taking a look at the makeup of the deck again. I KNOW I can drop Te'tek'kir, for another bushi, and might dump the Lotus at Dusk. I just find myself discarding them, anyway. I think the first change will be the Bushi ratio, then I'll look at the Fate Deck. I may need some limited/open control, though. Regardless, the deck is 1-2 right now, and only 1 was from major play mistakes. The only mistake I'm aware of this time was discarding an early peasant vengeance to the sensei. Coulda used that in the tie I lost Ik'krt at. Might have won that won the the PV. Might even have meant the province, which would have changed the whole game structure at that point. :( Regardless, Te-tik-kir exp is not good for this deck.

BTW, Joe/Nick/Luke, my handle is "shafezumi".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home