7.17.2006

Pass it around wiki

Our newest campaign is supposed to be a pass it around story. We each DM one week and pick up where the other left off. Each DM can steer the story away from the direction it was headed, but should try to do it in a flowing manner, ie, no waking up to discover that last quest was a weird shared dream.

To facilitate information sharing, I made a secure wiki for the group, but only two of us have posted our characters, and neither of us did any sort of character development outside of posting stats (in case a character sheet is left at home, etc), nor has last weeks DM put up any notes about what NPCs shouldn't be used, etc. So, the first real step in getting the story going, I think, is going to be organization. That's our biggest challenge as a gaming group. We'll have to set a DM rotation. We've got to get everyone involved in the wiki. All that shit. I suppose it's not necessary, but I'm anal and think it will help.

For our wiki, I used jotspot, which I think is related to blogspot here. Now, jotspot offers free, secure wikis, but they're limited. You get 20 pages and 5 registered users. Beyond that, you have to pay a fee. The freebie is fine for our needs, but if I do a serious wiki for a campaign I think I'd either A) set up my own secure wiki server or B) use one of the other free, not so secure wiki options and just not post copyrighted material. Either way, I think in my freetime (not this week then) at work, I might hit ENworld, check out some of the campaign wikis people have posted there, and see what others are using. It's a handy tool, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home