2.22.2005

Got the Eternal Life

Since everyone I know is blogging about the death by self inflicted gunshot wound (as John put it, probably not suicide, probably just a misthought drug induced experiment) of Hunter Thompson, I'll blog about something else. The death of Korn's current embodiment.

Turns out guitarist Brian "Head" Welch, one of Korn's founding members, has a new friend. A friend in Jesus. He's leaving the band, announcing the decision at Valley Bible Fellowship in Bakersfield, California, and heading off to Israel at the end of the month. When he comes back, he's turning his musical career over to God.

Now here's why I'm blogging about this. Personally, I'd not say I'm a fan of Korn, but neither do I change the station when they're on. My friends would probably say I'm decidedly not religious to boot.

What pisses me off, though, is how much flak local metal media (and prolly local metal media the nation, if not the world, over) is giving the dude. So he's leaving a lucrative career to further his religious beliefs. Big deal. How's that any different than the Arizona Cardinal player that left a lucrative football career to further his nation's beliefs? The NFL sucked his dick after he died and the media lapped that shit up, but Welch is getting a bad rap. It's the same damn thing, just a different level.

Hell, he's not even leaving the music industry, just reevaluating his place in it. People do that shit everyday. How many people out there have ever left one retail job, only to find themselves in another, possibly with better pay and different hours, but still retail?

Here's my take on it all, as I mentioned earlier to Boolah. Religion is nothing without spirituality, because the spirit and the soul are pretty much synonomous (although some would argue that a spirit is latent psychic energy, wheras the soul is really the definition of a person, who they are and what they can be). Religion is nothing without one or the other. And spirituality is damn sure a very, very, very personal thing. You decide what's right for you, within reason. (obviously, whether it seems right or not, making love to chickens is not gonna net you a trip into heaven....unless your name is Sped. But then again, perhaps your idea of heaven is simply a huge chicken hut packed to the brim with very promiscuous chickens that crave man cannons) And in the end, you decide whether your idea of the afterlife, reincarnation, or whatever is worth the sacrifices needed in this life to get there. Welch obviously decided his heaven was worth a cut in pay. Kudos to him, because I don't see enough people doing that these days.

Now. Bring on the anonymous posters that want to argue religion.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron has a lot to say, but since I don't speak cat, and am too lazy to sign in...and really it's fun to be anonymous since you invited it: MRAOW Miau meeerrrow.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Jorge Mackton said...

Righto. Good points, Shafe. The only thing I don't get is why he can't be religios and stay in Korn. Especially since Christian music sucks raging ballcock. Admittedly, I don't really give much of a crap about Korn either, I guess I don't get why he making such a big production number out of the deal. Course my own excercises in faith tend to quiet and introspective, so therein lies the root of that criticism as well.

The Moral of this story: Sped rules!!!!

4:39 AM  
Blogger Jorge Mackton said...

Holy crap. I just reread my post and it looks like it was typed by a five year old. Ugh. I gotta stop doing this crap at 6am.

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home