9.30.2004

The boss is a chicken shit

Ok, so not the boss, but still, the Director of Photographic Development. Lemme lay it down like this.

Tuesday, we got a call from one of the gophers over at corporate adding a shitload of photos to an order that was made waaay back on the 7th of the month and still hadn't been picked up. Apparently, it's photos of the daughter of a friend of the president of the company. Can I get anymore ofs in there? Our normal turn around time on photos is 72 hours. They absolutely had to have these in 5 hours. Absolutely. Had to have em. Before 4pm Tuesday. Can't be late.

Photos are still there at 9am Wednesday morning. Few things piss me off more than busting ass to make a deadline for a customer of any sort, only to have them not extend the same courtesy to me and pick the shit up on time. So, some lackey or another picks the photos up around 10, and the manager and I head to a meeting that'll decide my future for the next few months.

After the meeting, the boss comes into the lab and reems my ass out. The photos, printed 2 weeks apart, were slightly different hues/tones/colors whatever. That's because the damn photographer didn't have the key light set bright enough, so each time I reprint them, I have to manually brighten the photos in Photoshop. For normal customers, it's no big deal, cause they don't order the same photos over and over again, weeks apart, then view them side by side. So, the daughter of the friend of the president of the company got the exact same level of service as all of our other customers, except in 5 hours instead of 72.

On a slow day, no big. On Tuesday, we started most of the production for Wednesday's orders. 400 photos. So spending an hour or so matching these damn photos and making them perfect was out of the question. Couldn't explain that to anybody on Tuesday, though, so the boss got her ass reemed, then reemed mine. Trouble is, I fight back. I kind of feel sorry for my boss, cause everyone at the corporate headquarters knows that, so she gets stuck delivering the message.

This time, though, I'm tired of it and really in a "fuck this" kind of mood. After explaining to her that I don't want to work at a company that's gonna put the president's friends before the real customers, and rate said friends at a hire standard of quality, I insist on speaking to the PD director that reemed her. Fearing for my job (no one at my studio has a clue how to do what I do, so they don't wanna lose me), she won't give me his phone number. No big, the day moves on.

Later, PD director butthead calls to check up on the status of the order, and I happend to catch on that the boss is talking to him. "Mind if I have a chat," I say. She asks if he's got a minute, and he specifically replies, "I don't want to deal with him right now." At least, that's what she said the reply was, after much badgering from me. Her reply whilst on the phone was something along the lines of, "He doesn't have a minute," and doesn't know when he'll have a minute, which was my next question. He knew I's pissed, cause a few other corporate people were floating around the lab earlier in the day.

Prolly the thing that bugs me most is that I get so pissed at these corporate jack-asses that I almost yell at my boss for delivering their messages. Most of the time I don't yell, just get very commanding with my tone. She's said I seem to grow when I get that tone. Kind of funny, cause I'm a little guy, don't think of myself as intimidating at all, and actually haven't hit anybody or anything in prolly 5 years or so. Still, I feel bad for her, cause she's a decent person. Just has her own areas of incompetancy that have nothing to do with corporate. Of course, to her credit, she applied to be a photographer with our company, and they made her the studio manager. She's got no experience, doesn't even really wanna do it, and I admire her for sticking to it for the last couple of years, cause if I had to put up with the shit she does on a daily basis, at a job she doesn't really want, at a pay scale that's less than stellar, I'd have found something else very quietly at the very least, if not simply walked out one day.

Anyway, got a major sick & sniffly coming in by ambulance. Gotta get.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shafe-

I would suggest a nice long letter fully listing the incompetencies of the company and sending it to EVERYONE that is above you. It is totally and completely wrong of your boss to not let you speak to her boss'...and even if she is nice, it is still so wrong.

Good luck,
Kat

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home