11.07.2005

Review:Jarhead

Fun weekend. Caught Jarhead Saturday, spent Sunday sick on the couch from drinking too much. Way too much. Stupide me. Scored Danger Doom, and it's so good I got it twice. Actually, I bought it, and it turns out John got it for my birthday, too. I'll review it, probably tonight, but certainly later. For now, Jarhead.

The flick's based on the book by the same name, which is written by the Marine that's the main character (I think). Haven't read the book, so no review there. Regardless, I dug the movie. Only about the last 1/3 or so actually deals with the military's time in Saudi Arabia and charge into Iraq. There isn't a single shot fired until the end of the movie in celebration. Not your typical war movie. Much more psychological than action.

The acting is solid. The cinematography is solid (I could prolly do a whole post on the very subtle symbolism in the flick, specially during the oil scenes). For the dude's, genital humor abounds. For the chics, military dude butt abounds. Having a brief, failed stint in basic training, I can vouch for the authenticity of the humor and the training shenanigans.

However, if the average viewer is looking for something more than entertainment, Jarhead's probably not the way to go. There isn't much in the way of obvious message, which means that anything a person takes from the flick is an interpretation of the designs of the writer and director. That's the way I like it. I could see a statement to the righteousness of America saving Kuwait in the way the footprints of the soldiers turn the sand, the oil clinging to their boots and leaving the white sand exposed. I didn't see that, but I could. In junior high, I thought that, but then war was cool then.

This review is brought to you in all of its disjointed glory by "suddenly not being on hold", the public service shocker at work. I'll leave you with this glorious image from the wondrous run of our leadership. That's right. They're goin straight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home