10.31.2005

Measuring Stick

Sunday afternoon we caught Measure for Measure, a Shakespeare play. Twas an "Original Practices" style, which meant the bitches were dudes. None very convincing, but that's a good thing. The cast was also from the Globe Theater in London, which made for good fun. Thoroughly enjoyed the play. Hell, I wasn't even bothered by the peops behind us. First half, was two old people that couldn't follow the play at all. Intermission came, one asked the other if he knew what was going on, he didn't, and they went back to the retirement home mumbling about new slang and kids these days. Second half of the play, we found those seats replaced by some late comers that grabbed the "open call" tickets on the cheap at the door... Turned our section into the peanut gallery as they commented on everything like it was Jerry Springer.

Regardless, the play was good. I dug the shit outta the musicians. Acting wise, I'm told Steph's into a certain Scotsman that played Deputy Angelo, the main antagonist. His name's Liam Brennan. He's alright. A little old for her, but hey, chics these days, right? I thought Angelo was written exactly the way Brennan played him, serious, dry, predictable and boring.

Now, in my opinion, Duke Vincentio was the star of the play. I know that Isabella, the protagonist, played by Edward Hogg, is supposed to be. Didn't work out that way for me. Once my brain started translating Shakespeare into modern English, and I got up to the speed of light, Mark Rylance brought the character of the Duke to the front of the stage for me. Funny lines, funny mannerisms, great timing on the delivery. Major props coming from me, here.

All in all, a good time. The play runs until November 6, so for any of the MN readers, try to make it if you've got time and can find tickets. Good stuff.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amazing Shafeman said...

I actually just wrote this review on 11/1, but since I copied/pasted the first paragraph from an email to Big Country (shear laziness, I know), it got time stamped for yesterday. Sorry.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home