9.16.2004

Nezumi vs. Tomorrow

On Monday, whilst sick, Nick and I played a little L5R. I played my Ratling deck and he played a freshly constructed Shadowlands Oni Horde deck. To his credit, he'd just made it and our games were the first playtest, but my Nezumi ate his ass for lunch.

My deck has slowly been evolving away from its original purpose, so it still had Tch Tch Warrens as the Stronghold and a few Ninja Thieves (obviously meant to still everything from the opponent). I haven't been fortunate enough to pull a Tomorrow Sensei, and none of us are competitive enough to buy singles yet. That may change if one of us builds a dominate deck, but for now, it's a well balanced, easy going play environment.

So, in the first game, I got a rockin opening draw, popping out a Ratling Village first turn and starting to build the rat swarm in a hurry. If I remember right, Nick was stuck with one Oni for awhile, while I whittled him down to two provinces. Then Iuchiban came out and Nick looked smug. However, on my very next turn, Occult Murders flipped for me, so out Iuchiban went, while I lost only a Ch'krt. Not a bad trade, and next turn Nick bowed out, cause the rat swarm was gonna finish him. Of course he demanded a rematch...

Second game started much more slowly for me, but on turn two or three I pulled a Plains of Otusan Uchi and sped up a hair. Occult Murders traded that damn ranged 7 Oni for my Transcendant rat Z'iee fellow. Again my swarm whittled Nick down to two provinces, but the 2nd one he could have stopped I think, but he let it through with intent to swarm me back. He did, but I'd been sitting on a Call to Arms since turn 1. First thing I did was Slaughter the Scout to take out a Voigarti with some special Claws and a Skeletal Troopers. Then my Ratling Archers knocked out a Goblin Slingers. Iuchiban wasn't havin his army slaughtered out from under him, so he dueled Chk'rt into oblivian. I dropped a Battlefield of the Shallow Graves, and the game was over, but I can't remember if there was an exchange of ranged fire after that or not. Regardless, that wiped his army out, since a Ratling Conjuror pump gave me 28 force, and cutting his in half left him with something like 12. After that, I just swarmed him, and Nick took it like a man.

Since then, I've switched the Stronghold over to the Meeting Place and I MAY drop a Migawari for 2 Voitargis. Voitargi is a good value for 3 gold, but Migawari's ability to steal followers has saved me in past games.

Regardless, the Rat deck thus far is 5-1 in duels, and the loss came against a Crane honor runner, solely because I forgot to attack on one turn. Still haven't tested it in multi-player, which is what we usually play. I think it'd take some good diplomacy on my part to win, since I'm pretty sure there isn't 39 points of honor in the deck anyway. Still, might add some flavor to multi's, since they tend to be a race to 40 anyway...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home