9.19.2004

HoT Fire Enlightenment vs. Crane Dueler

Well, Nick rebuilt his Crane deck, focusing on it with all of his cards to the exclusion of all his other decks, much like I did/am doing with my Rat deck. Twice in fact, because his cats made a fun game of "slide across the floor on an L5R card" with the first rebirth of Crane. This game was that deck vs. my new Dragon deck.

I started with Ring of Fire in play, cause who wouldn't playing against Crane. I got Void out in a few turns, while Nick was still struggling with his crappy draw. Well, sort of crappy draw. He had nothing but gold for several turns, but then started rolling with a couple of ranged attackers, his Daimyo and then his Champion.

At that point, I had Earth in my hand, and didn't figure I'd get a better chance to play it, since I had enough force showing in my provinces to defend if he let me through. He defended, and after his Champ dodged Fists of Earth twice, I managed to send him home with Refugees, while all of his other personalities were bowed. He lost a province, three peeps and I got Earth into play.

Game slowed down here, as he started pumping peeps out. I had to pay full price for my guys and honor race him, which actually worked for a few turns in the way of favor denial. The whole time I was sitting on Ring of Air with only 1 Kiho in hand. I managed to stock up on 3 Kihos and a spell, but still couldn't get Air into play without heading into battle.

On Nick's last turn, he went to 42 honor, so I had to win. Played Look Into the Void, drew another, played the second, drew a Kiho, bowed the Dragon Champ to find Ring of Water, and went into battle. All on one provine, cause none of my battle cards needed opposing peeps.

He defended the opposite provinces, leaving me with no opponents. One Kiho got cancelled, but the next got through to bring Air into play, then I dropped two Kihos, a Furios Strike (we play Open), and finally a "Destiny Has No Secrets" to reveal only the Ring of Water in my hand, allowing me to play Water and Transcend to victory.

Now I carry two titles in my play group. First to Lose to Dishonor (Rat vs. Crane) and First to Enlightenment.

And I have to say, playing enlightenment is challenging, but damn fun. There's some adrenaline associated with the military smash styles of Rat and Uni, but Transcendance requires some serious skill. I like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home