6.12.2006

Lemme down

T-Mobile's running a contest. You pick the winner of a certain FIFA World Cup game each day. If you pick right, your name goes in a drawing for 25K. I've picked right 3 out of 4 days. The one I picked wrong? The USA, man. I mean, as an American, I can't pick the Czech Republic to win even though the US hasn't won a World Cup opener in 8 tries now. Damnit.

In other news, "Zoom Zoom" is fun. We figured it out tooling around backwoods Wisconsin this weekend in theMazda. Nice to have confidence in the car's ability to pass someone over 35' of road. :) One spot might have been 25' of road.

I was going to write a little about an article that was on MPR this morning, but I can't find any news on it anywhere (not even on mpr.org). Basically, there are A LOT of wind farm and wind energy projects that are on hold right now because Congress demanded there be a study on whether wind mills would interfere with aircraft and ground based radar installations. Here's the thing - the FAA and other organizations associated with these concerns have already signed off and given the projects the green light. Then Congress stepped in. Why? Speculation is that the huge wind farm on the east coast near some high value properties (a couple belonging to senators) caused the delay. Trouble is, the delay is causing a lot of land leases and what not to be screwed up, and that's costing a lot of people a lot of money. Like the farmers that are leasing their land to the electric and wind mill companies.

That leads me back to a thought I had in response to a bit also on MPR concerning the amount of fundage Klobuchar has got from the national party for her run in Minnesota. Here's the trouble with Congress as it stands. There's a great divide right now between what's good for Representatives and Senators and what's good for the rest of the country. Kind of confusing, really, since the rest of the country gives them their jobs, but between national parties and lobbyists, someone can continually get reelected through heavy spending and great soundbites.

On the bottom end of things, I'd like to see lobbyists gone entirely and an end or severe limitations on pork barrel projects that get slipped into bills on the back end. Rebuild the congressional buildings out of glass (metaphorically) and put cameras in every corner broadcasting live 24/7 on C-WESEEYOU.

At the higher end of things, I've been kicking around an entire redevelopment of the electoral process that gets rid of Pres/Vice Pres running together, splits the Senate down the middle and opens up the House to a lot more than just a dual party system. The House is giving me the most problems, and the whole thing is pretty low on my priority list right now anyway (specially since it's a bit to radical to go anywhere in the current environment of "I'm not doing anything that won't get me reelected.")

Anyway, I digressed a bit there. Guess I had something worthwhile after all. Well, that depends on whose reading, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home