1.24.2006

Sonnet Gaming

http://pigeonalacarte.blogspot.com/

I was orginally just going to quick link to this post because I strangely like the idea of a game that required all actions be expressed in sonnets.

Then I got to thinking. I'm seeing a lot of posts in the "intellectual freelance indy RPG development community" (despite all my personal traits, I never really thought I'd be part of any kind of "indy" community. I really like financial security a bit too much) about games that I've never heard of with a few key things in common. The most important of these is player approval and a general lack of GM. Now, I'm working with little detail and a lot of interpretation here, but it seems the games run with action being driven by the narrative primarily, and a player can take control of the narration by spending some resource or winning some conflict. Other players can support that narration and get stuff too, or use their resources to add to or redirect the narration. *shrug*

My first thought was that this play style is becoming popular because it appeals to older players more interested in escaping a boss/employee power structure AND it appeals to female players (no slam there). But then I got to thinking about the social structure of the games we play, then I lost my train of thought because there was some work to do. Once the train started rolling again, it was on a different track of course. Derailed again, and then I didn't feel like blogging anymore. Somewhere in there is a discussion about wondering why I'm drawn to alpha male personalities (most of my friends are), when I myself have such strong alpha traits. Then I realized that's the structure of my family, so I'm mainly recreating that aspect of my life in my friends. Huh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home