1.23.2006

Mashed

Here's a quote I thought was funny from another gamer blog I just found, but this quote is from an entirely differnet unidentified source. It's about structuring systems to be "dick retardent."

"....I mean that there's these rules, but there's giant holes where people can do all sorts of stuff and we assume they won't. I'm talking about the idea that a GM in D&D can have three thousand ogres attack and the rules don't say he can't. In a more hippie game, like The Face of Angels, I can start every conflict with "If I win, your mom craves my sexy body," and that's legal. We assume that this won't happen, but it can."

Reviews

LAN party - Went to my first one this weekend. Still trying to figure out if it's worth the effort of disconnecting, reconnecting, disconnecting and reconnecting my computer, but the fact is, it was DAMN FUN. Would have been more fun if A)we could all play BF2 online together and B)we could have got any of the other games to work correctly over the network, but even without that, twas a good time. John, Phil, Scott, and I played an inordinate amount of BF2 on our local connection. It was fun owning the computer in a four person squad, but it was even more fun owning Phil and Scott when John and I faced off against them. I've come to the conclusion that my play style is "wrong" because I actually like a lot of the 'unlock' guns that people say suck. I've found the G3, FN 2000, and PKM to be superior to the other weapons as far as my kill to death ratio is concerned, and I abhor the MP-7 submachine gun. I can't tell you how many times I was totally out of ammo with that little thing (with not even a spare clip in reserve). Needless to say, I got pretty good at unloading a gun into someone and switching to pistol to finish them off. But I digress. My personal favorite round was when we did Strike at Karkand and limited ourselves to pistols and knives, with heavy weapons allowed for vehicles. Wish it was a ranked server, as I got 7 knife kills that game. The worst round? On a ranked server against the =FEAR= clan. Those fuckers are spawn campers and dicks. I'll never play on that server again. Take the last flag and win or defend your own camps, but don't park a tank and APC outside our last flag and just continue to kill everyone as they spawn. That equals asshole. Or asshat is you're on a BF2 forum.

Rise of Nations - I picked up RoN to take to the LAN party, but no one was really interested in playing it, because the RTS game of choice, which wouldn't work, was Battle for Middle Earth. I grabbed the "Gold edition" which is the game and expansion. The game has 24 nations spanning 6000 years you can play. Are you familiar with the real time strategy genre? Think Warcraft. Build peasants, use them to build buildings and collect resources. Use buildings and resources to create an army and research technology. Use the army, resoures, and the diplomacy button to alternativetly kick the shit out of your enemies, ally with them, or brow beat them into submission. I can't figer out how to do the latter, and so far, I've only been on maps that let you ally with ONE nation. That's annoying, because the computer doesn't have that restriction. Last night I was reclaiming Greece for Alexander the Great, womping some serious ass, when all five of the remaining nations allied against me, forming the Lokroi nation and being a pain in my ass. Pissed me off enough I popped out a 50 unit army (killed a few citizens to make room) and rushed their capital, leaving like 7 enemy towns between my army and my nearest city, but fuck em. Nationalize against me, will they? Stupide greeks.

Anyway, aside from the standard RTS game play, there's a conquest mode as well. Conquest mode looks pretty similar to a board game such as Risk or A&A. You have a map with your armies and territories, as well as those of the enemy forces. You can move your armies around, attack other provinces, and do all the diplomacy stuff (right now, I'm doing Alexander the Great). If you attack a province with two more armies than the defender, you can overrun it instead of fighting, which doesn't cound as your one attack per turn. When you do attack, the game jumps from the conquest map to the strategic map, which is just your RTS game. *shrug*

All in all, not a bad game, and it's cheap now, since it's a year or two old. Solid $30 in my book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home