12.13.2005

Narnia: A Review

Don't you hate it when your hands are full of raw bacon, and your nose starts to itch?

Narnia. More specifically, the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Was a book, now a flick. For those of you not in the know, C.S. Lewis, the author of the Narnian books, was a Christian writer whose books get filed under "Christian inspiration" at the big chain bookstores. He's the Monte Cook of Christian fantasy.

As for the movie, I dug. Very, very pretty movie. Major props go to the CG artist. When Lewis was alive, he was adamant about his books not becoming live action flicks, because at the time, live action talking animals would have been "ridiculous." While I don't expect every beaver I see on the way to work to lead me to a rebellion, the shit was definitely not ridiculous.

Most of the cast was pretty, too. If I were a nymph, I'd be plugging any number of fauns, cause they was pretty. Were I a faun, there's a few girls and maybe a boy or too that'd see me breaking out my magic pipes...

As for the rest of the movie, having not read the book since 3rd grade (and not finishing it then), I can't comment on the translation from book to screenplay. I can say, though, that the only time I really cared much about the children was at the beginning when they were leaving their mom. The rest of the time, they were just annoying kids that didn't really seem to be reacting to the world around them, or rather, the events around them, cause there was plenty of awe at Narnia, just not much fear about fighting in a war and taking on an evil witch, unless the wolf was about to eat their face. I've been assured that's the way the book is, too, though.

Overall, I'd say 'B+'. I definitely enjoyed watching the flick, but it didn't change my life. I don't feel like I wasted Nick's money (whom I never paid for the ticket). We'll probably own it on DVD. Actually, I have to rescend the change my life statement. Watching the credits, I saw that one of the special effects teams was a company does a lot of compositing through a local firm. Said local firm offered me a job just out of school, but pulled the offer because I wasn't completely familiar with the software they used (damn school didn't teach us Apple products, gah). That small brush with opportunity was enough for my subconscious to work up demo reel ideas in my sleep last night. Which is why I'm not working on D&D this morning instead of blogging... mind is too ful of images to form words with many letters.

Anyway, check out the flick. Good time, and if it makes money, they might do the whole series. I doubt it, but Hollywood likes its cash cows....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home