1.31.2006

Expeditious Retreat Press

Awhile back I did a review for a few books from XRP (Expeditious Retreat Press), A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe and A Magical Society: Ecology and Culture. I heartily recommend these books to anyone interested in world and city building in a fantasy/magical setting. Very good stuff.

More so, I recommend buying them in print version direct from the company. Why? Well, number one, they're big books, so that's a lot of printing if you're like me and really like the tactile sensation of paper. Second, and especially with MS:E&C, there are some examples that I find myself looking at a lot, and as a .pdf it's just a lot of scrolling. Here's the kicker, though. I recommend ordering direct from XRP for one main reason. My order came with a HAND WRITTEN NOTE, thanking me for the order and offering up any customer service aid I might need! That's on top of being brilliantly packed in a solid box (I've had books come in padded envelopes) and shipped quickly. Nothing to complain about on any fronts.

If, despite all of this, you're still hestitant to consider the purchase, here are links to free samples. Download these even if you don't game in a fantasy setting. They're pretty interesting reads even without a gamer or authorial bend in your day.
A Magical Medieval City Guide
A Magical Society: Guide to Mapping

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home