9.13.2005

Crispy Island

Here's good ole Crispy Island, from the point we landed at. Quite an intersting place. It looks like the fire came in from the west, hopping the lake to get there, then just skirted the shore. The eastern shore is pristine and hasn't been touched, as is the heart of the island. Made for a fun hike across it, as you're dodging dead charcoal for 50 yards or so, then tracking deer across the island, then you hit charcoal again. Fun.

Incidentally, I got my first muskie hit from the island. It also saved us many frustrating hours of fire starting. I spotted a belt clip in the lake, but walked past it while fishing, intending to pick it up on my way back. Unfortunately, Nick spotted it on his way through after me and wasn't quite so lazy. Turned out to be a swiss army knife, and with a little work, it's usable. Quality stuff. Worked a lot better on the flint/steel I had with me than the axe, since Nick forgot the matches (among other things, because he was busy chasing poonany before we left).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home